A travel blog made of excerpts from one year spent living in South America. From travel-based stories, to home truths from Chile, to coriander and palta (avocado) recipies. Some poetry, some pictures, some trapeze: this blog will give a flavour of life, loves, losses and politics in Chile and South America.

Thursday 4 September 2008

2.12.07- my 21st: coffee, overwhlemed feelings and a promise not to do a Bridget Jones

2.12.07

So… 21… ¡Que raro, tengo veintiuno anos!
I don’t know if it’s the coffee of the tiredness. Or the slightly footloose feeling of a societally important birthday so far away from home and my usual loves. (In the “present”, 09.6.08, Alvaro compounds this by having just shown me, on google earth, the humongous distance between here (Santiago Centro) and there (Holloway, London)).
But in my tired coffee-d, vauguely confused state I find myself trying to imbue this all with significance. Weird feeling of a watershed, of experiences that need to be grabbed with both hands!

I suppose I feel that with this upcoming three month break (FYI, in Chile, as it’s in the southern hemisphere, the long holidays are in the Christmas/Summer period) it feels as if I need to return with more direction, more certainties.

To do

1) email human Rights NGOs about job opps. next term (email Tania about this)
2) thinks of internships for August in London
3) Change flight home!
4) ?Learn to roll with the punches?

[Update! June and I still haven’t applied for my student loan….
Only point 3. has really been covered, 2 and 4 are still work in process and 1… well 1 kind of worked out, just in a different way.]

Notes for readers:
I promise the Bridgte Jones style list thing will not continue. I can only blame the coffee and tiredness. I have been reprimanded and I Promise it will not happen again.
Also. Please Note. This, although it somehow started out that way, does not intend to be chick-lit. I will speak about sex a lot, I promise, but, you know, in a like, political and societistical way. Kinda. (And for any pedant itching to write in and correct “societistical”…I know! It’s a poor joke. About, like, stereotypes and, um, stuff.)

No comments: